Steps to Apply
To apply for grants, loans, work-study and some scholarships you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and university aid programs. Even if you think you may not be eligible, we encourage you to apply. The FAFSA is available beginning October 1. We encourage you to file your FAFSA online as soon as possible to avoid errors and ensure faster processing. ECU’s priority deadline is March 1.
You may apply for aid before you receive your admission decision, however, you will not receive an award notification until you have been admitted into a degree seeking program of study at East Carolina University. To ensure that East Carolina University receives your FAFSA information, please be sure to include ECU’s Federal School Code: 002923 on your FAFSA.
How to Apply for Aid
- Apply for admission to ECU.
- Apply for an FSA ID.
- The FSA ID is a username and password that is unique to you as an individual. It is used to access your personal information and to sign the FAFSA electronically.
- Gather the information that you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) such as:
- FSA ID’s
- Student and/or parent Social Security Numbers
- Federal Income Tax Returns
- W-2 forms or documentation of money earned during the tax year
- Untaxed income (child support, TANF, payments to tax-deferred pension, worker’s compensation)
- Current balance of cash, savings, and checking accounts
- Net worth of business and investments
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid beginning October 1 for the academic year in which you plan to enroll and include ECU’s Federal School Code: 002923.
- Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool to link your Federal Income Tax Return to the FAFSA. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this tool when completing the FAFSA.
- As long as you have filed your federal income tax return, you can link to the IRS website directly from the FAFSA and automatically populate the FAFSA income questions related to your tax return.
- Apply for ECU Scholarships at ECU Award
- Check your eligibility requirements to see if your FAFSA has been received, if you have any outstanding student requirements, holds, or an unsatisfactory academic progress status that could prevent you from being awarded and/or receiving financial aid.
- Log into ECU Pirate Port
- Find & Click on the “Financial Aid Self Service” card.
- Any Financial Aid holds will be visible on the “Home” screen.
- Any “Student Requirements” will be listed on the “Home” screen.
- Select “Satisfactory Academic Progress” to review that status.
- Submit any outstanding student requirements requested promptly.
- Complete Immunization Requirements.
Checking Your Application Status
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) sent to you by the US Department of Education for your:
- Expected family contribution (EFC)
- PELL eligibility
- Comments to see if corrections are required or to determine if you have been selected for verification.
- Schools listed on the FAFSA will receive your data.
- ECU will receive your results within 5-7 business days from the date it was submitted to the US Department of Education.
- Watch for the results of your Financial Aid Application.
- Check your ECU email periodically for financial aid information, additional requirements, and your award offer.
- The US Department of Education selects approximately 30% of a school’s population for verification. If you are selected for verification you will be notified through your ECU email account. This email will contain a list of documents you must submit to our office before we can continue to process your award.
- If additional information is requested, please submit them within 10 business days of notification. Please include your name and ECU Banner ID on all documents.