Grants are funds that do not require repayment. Grants are generally awarded to students with the greatest financial need, which is determined by completion of the FAFSA.

Federal Grants

Pell Grant (PELL)

PELL is awarded to undergraduate students with no prior bachelor’s degree with significant financial need, as measured by the Department of Education’s need-analysis formula that measures a family’s ability to pay for education expenses. The maximum number of years a student may receive Federal Pell grant is six years.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to recipients of PELL. The amount you are awarded will vary depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you are receiving, and funding availability at ECU.

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant is awarded to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11. In addition, students must be 24 years old or less and enrolled in college at the time of their parent or guardian’s death.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

TEACH is awarded to students who are completing or plan to complete coursework needed towards a career in teaching. It provides up to $4000 per year to students who agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.  Recipients of TEACH must sign an Agreement to Serve which requires you to teach as a full-time teacher for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing your program, perform the teaching service as a highly qualified teacher at a low-income school or educational service agency, and teach in a high-need field. If you fail to meet the requirement of your Agreement to Serve, all TEACH Grant funding received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan with interest being charged from the date of each TEACH disbursement.

To qualify for TEACH at ECU you must maintain a minimum 3.25 GPA and be fully admitted into upper division and pursing a Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades Education with a concentration in Math or Science, Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Secondary Education, Bachelor of Science in Science Education, Bachelor of Science in Special Education, Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Language and Literatures with a concentration in French or French Education, German or German Education, Hispanic Studies or Hispanic Studies Education, or a Master of Arts in Teaching.

Institutional Grants

ECU Grant (ECUG)

ECUG is awarded to full-time undergraduate students with no previous bachelor’s degree who have an expected family contribution from 0-11,000. The amount you are awarded will vary depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you are receiving, and funding availability at ECU.

State Grants

North Carolina Scholarship (NCS)

NCS is a state grant awarded to undergraduate North Carolina residents based on the completion of their FAFSA, need, and funding availability. Recipients are chosen by College Foundation of North Carolina.

Other Resident State Grant Programs

If you are an out-of-state student, you will need to check with your home state’s Department of Higher Education to determine if you qualify for funding to assist you in attending ECU.